Emmanuel Andrews Samini (born 22 December 1981 in Accra, Ghana), known in show business as Samini (formerly Batman Samini), hails from the town of Wa in the northern part of Ghana.
He is Ghana’s biggest musical star at the present time. His genre of music is a melodious mixture of highlife, dancehall, reggae and hip-hop. He terms his brand of music as the “African dancehall”.
He started singing in a church choir at the age of 14 and became a professional musician after a musical collaboration with another musician in 1999. His debut album, Dankwasere released in 2004, topped the local music charts for weeks and won two awards at the Ghana Music Awards.
The track Linda from the album was a popular hit. He has shared the stage alongside Sean Paul, Akon, Kevin Little, Shaggy, Wayne Wonder, Damien Marley, Bennie Man, Jay-Z, Chaka Demus & Pliers, Culture (of Blessed Memory) and Steel Pulse. He collaborated with Steel Pulse and Etana from Jamaica. He has received international recognition and toured the UK, [Germany], Italy, Canada, and Holland.
He received international recognition when he was nominated and won the best African musical act at the MOBO Awards in the United Kingdom in September 2006. His second album was Samini for which he won three awards at the 2007 Ghana Music Awards, and in February 2008, won the Best African Artist Award at the Hip Hop World Awards in Nigeria. His third album, Dagaati, was released in 2008.
- 2005 Ghana Music Awards - Hiplife Artiste of the Year
- 2005 Ghana Music Awards - Artiste of the Year
- 2006 MOBO Awards - Best African Act
- 2008 Hip Hop World (Nigeria) - African Artiste of the Year
- 2009 MTV Africa Music Awards - Best Performer
- 2010 IRAWMA - Best African Entertainer
- 2006 MTV Europe Music Awards - Best African Act
- 2008 MTV Africa Music Awards - Best Performer